If I were to characterize this week in one sentence, I’d say
that I spent it learning as much as possible.
Luckily for me, most of the learning done was hands-on, rather than
theoretical, so I got to spend a good deal of time in lab. Unluckily for me, it seems that everytime I
learn something new I completely forget about something else that I used to
know. I wish it were as easy to clean
out my brain as it is to clean out my email inbox. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, so I’ll
have to continue stuffing as many things in my brain as possible, and hoping
that the right things stick at the right time.
I’ll let you know how it goes... my fingers are crossed for positive
results. :P
The first new thing I learned this week was actually a mix
of new and old things. This is a lot
easier to explain with scientific jargon, but I’ve been reliably informed by my
GRE prep book that I should avoid using jargon in order to not confuse my
audience, so I’m going to try to use normal words... if it’s still super confusing,
let me know and I’ll try to explain it a different way.
Okay, here goes: the basis of what I’ve been doing so far is
designing a specific piece of circular DNA that’s mutated in a certain way,
such that a specific DNA repair pathway will repair that mutation, but the
other DNA repair pathways won’t.
Previously, the circular DNA that we’ve been using has been fairly
resilient to things that disrupt the bonds between the DNA bases. My project for the summer and for my thesis
class in the fall uses a piece of circular DNA that is much less resilient, and
can be easily disrupted by some of the chemicals that we would normally use to
purify the DNA or to extract it from the gel.
As a result, we have to use a special kind of agarose gel that has a particularly
low melting point, so that we can essentially just melt the gel and get the DNA
back out of it.
I say that we’re essentially melting the gel to get the DNA
back... I sincerely wish that it were that simple. Low melting point agarose is extremely soft
as compared to normal agarose (agarose is the type of gelatin-y substance that
we use to ‘run out’ the DNA... basically it’s a porous material that the DNA
moves through. Big DNA pieces run slower than small DNA pieces, so the
differently sized pieces of DNA get separated out when you run the gel). In this case, extremely soft means ‘liable to
fall apart in your hands’ soft. Which is
something of a problem when you need to carry your gel around the lab in order
to take pictures of it (to see if the bands are where they’re supposed to be)
and cut out the bands (so that you can melt just the part of the gel that has
the DNA band you want, not the whole gel).
Luckily we can more or less get around that problem by carrying the gel
around on the tray that it sits in when you’re running it. Unfortunately, cutting the band out of an
extremely soft gel is also ridiculously difficult. In the normal gels, it’s pretty easy to cut out
only the part of the gel that you need, and to shave off fairly thin slices of
agarose gel when you make a mistake in cutting.
In the low melting point gels, the tiny pieces of gel tend to stick
together, making it incredibly difficult to fix your mistakes. As a result, the process is a lot slower than
it would be otherwise, and a lot more fine motor skills are required. I don’t know about you, but I’m still working
on perfecting my fine motor skills while wearing gloves and working at 4°C
(39°F... not extremely cold, but not pleasant for long periods of time or while
trying to do delicate work). The point
of this long diatribe on low melting point agarose is that it’s completely
necessary, and not very complicated, but it’s a new thing that I have to get
used to, and not all that fun. :P
After the DNA piece is cut out of the gel, the process to
extract the DNA from low melting point agarose is also a lot longer than the
process for normal agarose. Where the
normal steps take about an hour at most, the low melting point agarose steps
take the better part of a day. And when
you include all of the steps necessary to actually make the DNA piece that we
want in the first place, the entire process spans the better part of three
days... which explains a bit of why I stayed in lab late for two days last
week. It also gives me a new perspective on how costly science is. I knew from last summer and various parts of
last year that the monetary cost of science was extremely high- a miniscule
amount of the antibody needed to look at the proteins I was trying to find last
summer can run upwards of $400 (and that’s for 100 µL. For perspective, a
single dose of Nyquil is about 30 mL, which is 3000 times as much as the amount
of antibody you get for $400. Science is almost stupidly expensive.). This summer has given me a new perspective on
the man-hour costs of science. Last
week, I probably put in about 20 hours of work to get less than half of the DNA
that we had put into the gel back out of it.
And honestly, that was a good result.
In the same way that some energy is always lost to do work on a system,
some of the materials we’re working with are always lost to get to the point
where we can use them. And it’s both
incredibly frustrating and fairly rewarding to see a final yield of less than
50%- on the one hand, so much of the work you put in to make the right DNA was
just lost without a trace; on the other hand, 50% is pretty close to the upper
limit of what it’s possible to recover, so at least I’m not doing worse than
anyone else who’s following the same protocol.
All of this goes to say that low melting point gels are
currently the extremely necessary but extremely annoying center of my
scientific existence. :P
Anyway, moving on from gels, I also did other things in lab
last week. The main thing that I did
other than playing with horrible, horrible gels, was learning to operate a flow
cytometer. This was a little bit
terrifying, largely because flow cytometers play into the monetary section of
how much science costs. The list price
isn’t available online (which probably tells you something about how much these
things cost...) but the figure they gave us during orientation was somewhere in
the multi-million dollar range. Given
that I have a small tendency toward breaking machinery when I touch it, I was
rather nervous about running the flow cytometer. Despite my nervousness, the training went
pretty well, and I’m now a certified flow cytometer user at MIT. UROP students normally aren’t allowed to run
the flow cytometers (probably because they’re such expensive pieces of
equipment), but since I’ll need it for my thesis class in the fall, they let it
slide. Hopefully at some point I’ll have
some interesting data that I can share... right now all I have are dots that
represent cells that were engineered to glow green when a laser was shined on them. Which isn’t all that
exciting, but since this post is currently a long wall of text, I’ll include
them below so that you have something mildly interesting to look at. :P
This is a typical plot showing the relative size of the cells. The axes (forward and side scatter) refer to how much of the laser light is bounced either to the side or forward rather than being stopped by the cell. This is a not-particularly-exact measurement of the size and shape of the cell. The cells inside the black pentagon are single cells that are probably alive still, and have a normal shape.
These are cells that have been engineered with a piece of DNA that causes them to make a protein that glows green when a laser shines on it. This time, the dots in the triangular section (labeled R2) are those that glowed green- the rest of the cells had some green fluorescence, but it was due to the auto-fluorescence of the cells themselves. (I know, cells have auto-fluorescence. It's weird, right?)
The last learning-related thing I did this week was studying
for the GRE. Like I’ve mentioned before,
this is the entrance exam for grad school.
I can’t remember if I’ve said how hard it is though... I’ve done several
practice sets, and I think I’ve come across more words that I don’t know than
words that I do. Since vocabulary plays
a big role in the Verbal section of the GRE, we’ve been coming up with a vocab
word of the day for most of the summer. Somehow, there’s still a mountain of
words that I don’t know, though... I thought I had a decent vocabulary, but the
GRE is reminding me that I’m at a tech school and haven’t seriously studied
literature or English-based classes for three years. Unfortunately, the GRE isn’t testing me on
things that I’ve been focused on (biology and the like), but rather basic math
and verbal skills. So if anyone has a
good way of remembering the difference between permutations and combinations
(probability things... *cough*Kerri*cough*) or between insolent and indolent
(vocab words that I just can’t keep straight at the moment) definitely let me
know. I could definitely use all the
help I can get when it comes to this ridiculous test.
On a more fun note, three friends and I went out for Indian
food on Saturday night. I’m not a huge
Indian food person, largely because it’s not really readily available in West
Seattle, to the best of my knowledge, but I thoroughly enjoyed dinner. Trying new things is always good,
particularly when my friends who are well versed in Indian food are available
to make decisions about what we should eat.
It was also just really nice to get out of the MIT/Sig Ep/grocery store
bubble that I’d been in all week. All of
those places are great, for different reasons, and I love spending time in each
of them. But a break from routine in
order to take a tiny adventure to a part of Boston I don’t usually get to see
was exciting. The delicious food was a
definite benefit as well. I definitely
ate too much, as was evidenced by the fact that I was sound asleep a couple of
hours prior to when I normally would be... struck by the proverbial ‘food coma’,
as my friends and I call it.
Since this is now 20 minutes late and I’ve got to be up for
work in the morning, I’m going to end it here. Next week I’ll hopefully be able
to regale you with more stories of my successes in lab, and give you fewer
boring explanations of why everything is difficult. :P


Great weekly blog, thank you. Do you work on a refrigerated table top with the gel? Similar to the Cold Stone Creamery folks serving ice cream? I like the challenging words, please keep those coming. I can provide you with some pretty funny ways to remember their definitions.
ReplyDeleteSorry, just saw this... The table is sort of refrigerated? But only in that the room we're working in is refrigerated. We go into a 4°C room in order to excise the bands from the gel, and the stand with a backlight is there so that we can actually see the bands (they're invisible to the naked eye). And there are more challenging words coming in this week's post! :)
Delete