Monday, July 14, 2014

In Which I Extol the Virtues of Art, Again

Alrighty... I think we’re all caught up now, so for the first time this summer I’ll actually be presenting you with the events of last week.  Huzzah for being caught up!

It was about this time last year that I went to the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) and gave you a virtual tour of all the different kinds of art I’d seen that week.  So it’s rather fitting that this week I do a bit of the same, although from a slightly different standpoint.  This weekend, a few friends and I went to the Institute of Contemporary Art (or ICA), which is one of Boston’s largest collections of modern art.  I’m going to say up front (as I did this weekend) that I really don’t understand contemporary art, and it makes very little sense to me.  I’m really more of a ‘look how well this person was able to draw this flower... it’s so lifelike!’ sort of person.  But, the museum was free, and I’d never been there, so I figured it was worth a look.

I’m really glad I went, for a number of reasons.  First, the ICA is located on the Boston waterfront, which is somewhere I think I’ve only been once or twice in my time at school.  I’m not going to say the best part of the weekend was being able to smell the ocean, but it was pretty great.  We wandered around a bit (okay... a lot) and found some cool things.  There’s a museum dedicated to the Boston Tea Party, and a café designed to look like a giant milk bottle (I’m still sans camera, or I would have taken pictures... I really need to do something about that. :P ) We had lunch on one of the piers, and listened to small children gleefully noting the large number of jellyfish that had decided to congregate in the water around the pier.  And, due to my laziness and incredible inability to be a responsible adult, I got my first sunburn of the summer.  It’s not a bad one, but it’s bad enough that I’ll hopefully remember to put on sunscreen in the future.  Especially since I can just imagine the lecture I would get at work for coming in severely sunburnt... these are the perils of working in a lab that focuses on DNA damage. :P

In any case, the first set of art that I enjoyed this weekend was the intersection of architecture and nature that exist on the waterfront.  I think this is true for most waterfront cities, but it’s especially fun in Boston because you also get a striking contrast between the very old and the very new.  There were stone buildings that looked like castles that must have been from the early 1900’s at the latest, standing right next to tall glass skyscrapers and buildings that haven’t been completed yet.  There were sailing ships modeled after those that would have been used in the 1700’s floating in a harbor across from which you could see planes taking off and landing at Logan Airport.  The double set of contrasts meant that there was always something to look at.  And although my feet were rather sore at the end of the day, it was thoroughly enjoyable to wander through Boston without any sort of agenda or timetable, other than that at some point we would need to get home and eat.

The second set of art that I enjoyed was, unsurprisingly, in an art museum.  The ICA is a lot smaller than the MFA, with only two exhibits currently open.  One exhibit was a collection of pieces by various artists, all exploring what we consider art, and how we use different mediums to create artistic pieces.  The second exhibit was a collection of pieces by a single artist (Jim Hodges), all centering around the same theme- “Give more than you take.”  Going into this exhibit, pretty much the only thing I knew was that Jim Hodges was a Spokane native, which made me like him a bit before seeing any of his work.  (I’ve got sort of a bizarre ‘nationalism’ for anything and anyone from Washington... it’s worked out pretty well so far.)  Anyway, like I said earlier, I really don’t understand modern art.  But I really enjoyed Hodges’ work.  From an aesthetic standpoint, the pieces were very striking- most of them used color or form in a way that wasn’t immediately intuitive.  One of the most interesting pieces, in my opinion, was a collection of sheet music with each page laid out next to the other.  Hodges had taken colored pencils and covered up some of the notes with big blocks of color.  It was pretty, but it also made you think about the relationship between music and visual arts, and it sort of evoked the idea of what it must be like to have synesthesia (one form of which means that you experience sounds as colors).

I think the thing that I got out of the visit to the museum was that contemporary art isn’t meant to be appreciated for itself in the same way that classical art is.  Yes, the art is still often aesthetically pleasing on its own.  But it also serves to make you think.  It’s harder to appreciate modern art, I think, because it requires you to give a bit of yourself into the appreciation.  With a lot of classical art, you can get something out of just looking at it.  Granted, there’s a deeper layer to it that means you’ll get more out of it if you take the time to analyze the artist’s brushstrokes, or composition, or the period of history they were living in.  But on a shallow level, you can also just look at the art and appreciate the beauty.  With modern art, in my experience, that’s more difficult.  It’s hard to look at bunch of concentric circles and appreciate them for being circles (even if they are remarkably well drawn circles).  But when you understand that each set of circles is meant to represent either the artist or his lover, and that the height of the largest circle is how tall they were, you’re forced to think about how circles represent the simultaneous simplicity and complexity of being a human, and human relationships, and love (or at least that’s what I was put in mind of... the piece might speak differently to other people). 

The piece with the concentric circles (titled “He and I”) was my favorite piece in the museum, because it was so incredibly simple, but it must have taken forever to do. The circles weren’t very far apart from one another, so drawing two sets of concentric circles up to a circle that was at least 5’6” in diameter would have taken a very long time.  It would be impossible to convey all of my thoughts about the piece in a blog post of a reasonable length, but suffice it to say that it made me think, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I did an image search to find a picture, which is below.  And if you click on ‘image search’ in the previous sentence, it’ll take you to the page of images that includes a large number of the pieces that were at the ICA, so that you can see some of them.  If one strikes you, let me know! And we can talk about it. :)



Now that I’ve extolled the virtues of the ICA, I’ll continue with the other types of art I enjoyed this weekend. :P  Another thing I did was watch two movies- one indoor and one outdoor, and both free. Which is always a plus, no matter who you are.  The first movie was indoors, put on by LSC, one of the clubs here.  It was Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  I thoroughly enjoyed it- it was an excellent movie if you’re looking for gratuitous action sequences and lots of Marvel Comics in-jokes.  It was also an interesting movie from a political standpoint... I can’t really go into it without spoiling pretty much the whole movie, but if you ever watch it and want to discuss conspiracy theories with me, and how terrifying the implications of the movie were, I’m all for that.  The second movie we watched was outdoors, and significantly more lighthearted.  It was Monsters University, the sequel/prequel to Monsters Inc., which is a childhood favorite of mine.  The movie looks at how the two main characters in Monsters Inc. met, and it was also filled with in-jokes that created a resounding sense of nostalgia as I watched.  Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, even if I did spend half of the movie getting kicked in the back by the children sitting behind us (one of the perils of outdoor movies that are catered to families, I guess).

Well. That takes us through Saturday’s events... now onto Sunday.  More art!  We went to the SoWa open market and browsed through the craft stalls, the food stalls, and the vintage goods.  We also had some delicious tacos from a food truck, and some rosemary lemonade that was equal parts delicious and confusing.  I’m not sure how I feel about putting rosemary into lemonade... but it was cold, and liquid, which was pretty much all that I required on a scorcher of a day.  As always, I could have spent several more hours than I did perusing the market... Farmers’ markets and the like always seem to have more things than you can possibly look at in one go around.  However, our time at the market was cut slightly short by the fact that we needed to be home to watch a very important game on television.  I plan to go back at some point though... not least because there was an ice cream sandwich food truck that I need to try (I might skip lunch one day and just eat an ice cream sandwich.... what’s the point of being young if you don’t enjoy it every once in a while? :P)

Anyway, back to the very important game.  The final of the World Cup!  Featuring Germany vs. Argentina!  I was rooting for Germany, and I definitely wasn’t the only one, although there were some Argentina fans in the room as well.  The game itself wasn’t too exciting, given that the score was 0-0 for the full regulation time, plus about 15 minutes of extra time.  It was, however, an excellent soccer game, despite the amount of violence that the players managed to pull off, either accidentally or intentionally.  There were several hits that left me cringing with each slow-motion replay.  The game eventually ended with only one goal having been scored- by Germany (Yay! :P)  It was a gorgeous goal, as far as goals go, and the player who scored was only 22 years old, which is incredible in and of itself.  I read that he and the player who assisted the goal are the first players on the German national team to have been born under reunified Germany... which was a little bit mind blowing.  I knew, abstractly, that Germany had only reunified very recently, but knowing that someone only a little older than me is among the first Germans never to have known East and West Germany made me stop and think for a minute.  Time is a very confusing concept occasionally.

Okay... three pages later, I think we’re caught up again.  I could talk about lab, but nothing very exciting has happened yet.  I spent most of last week reading and writing papers.  And I’ll probably spend a good chunk of this week doing the same, depending on how things end up working out with some of our experiments.  The only semi-exciting thing that’s happened in lab is that my name has been added to the list of lab members that get thanked at the end of everyone’s presentation slides, so I’m kind of a real part of the lab, which is cool.  And we went out to a real bar for the semi-final of the World Cup in which Germany sort of annihilated Brazil, which was exciting.  I’ve discovered that I’m still not a huge beer person, but there are a couple that aren’t totally horrible.  And I’m probably the bane of every bartender’s existence, since I drank one beer for the three hours we were there, but I think the rest of my lab probably made up for that. :P


It was a pretty good week, all around, and this week is looking pretty good so far as well.  Although there are several thunderstorms on the horizon, which might make my walk to work a bit wet.  But maybe it’ll be less humid? One can hope anyway.  Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment