On a video
series that I sometimes watch (VlogBrothers, on YouTube, for those of you who
want specifics (and also for the appropriate citations... HNA taught me well.
:P )) one of my favorite quotes is as follows: “[N]erds like us are allowed to
be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like
jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it”. As a
self-proclaimed nerd (an epithet which is often lovingly confirmed by those
around me) I get really, really excited about things that most people probably
wouldn’t. Things like a new book, or nerdy TV shows (*cough* Doctor Who *cough*), or my new class schedule make me a
little bit ridiculously excited. It’s probably easiest to just give you a run
down of my classes and then go over the other things I did this week. So,
without further ado, here is my first weekly blog post of Junior Year.
Note: I’m going to
try to not use MIT-speak too much... but it’s kind of hard, since in a lot of
cases, I only know what class I’m in by referring to the number, not the name.
If I slip, or forget to explain something, feel free to email me or leave a
comment (sorry, I know comments still only work for some of you... I’m working
on that) and I’ll explain as soon as possible.
7.03 (Genetics): I’m excited about this class purely because I love the
subject matter. The human genome contains a massive amount of information that
our body uses every day, but we still have very little knowledge (relatively
speaking) of how exactly everything works. We know a lot more now that we did,
say, 50 or 60 years ago, but in the grand scheme of things there’s still a lot
to be discovered. I think it’s incredibly fascinating that each one of our
cells contains a wealth of almost entirely untapped knowledge. The answers to
the questions of the universe might not lie within our cells... but at the same
time they might, since we don’t know everything that’s there yet.
20.109 (Laboratory Fundamentals in Biological Engineering): This is the
Course 20 lab class. This semester, we’re genetically engineering a plasmid to
glow when DNA repair occurs, doing something with tissue engineering and
systems biology that I didn’t really understand during the brief overview of
the class last week, and using biomaterials to engineer a solar panel. No big
deal. The one downside to this class is that my lab section goes until 5
o’clock on Fridays, so I have something of a long day before the weekend. It
sounds like it’s going to be really cool though, so I’m excited anyway.
20.320 (Analysis of Biomolecular and Cellular Systems): This class is
just insanely cool. The goal of the class is essentially to learn how to model
biological systems on the computer so that we can do quantitative analysis of
the systems without running various long, boring experiments in lab. By the end
of the class, we’ll have completed a design project that will allow us to model
a given biological system and play with the variables such that we can
determine the weak points in the system, and understand how changing the
variables will affect the system as a whole. The professor told us on the first
day that the design project itself is about 100 hours worth of work, and we
have p-sets (problems sets, which are MIT’s version of homework) on top of that.
This is almost certainly going to be my hardest class, and probably one of the
ones with the most work. But it’s so cool (at least in my opinion) that I have
trouble grumbling about how much work it’s going to be. I’m sure I’ll revise
that opinion later in the semester, once I start actually doing the work. :P
21F.713 (Advanced Communication in Spanish: Film, Visual Arts, and
Fiction): Since this class is taught entirely in Spanish, it’s probably more
appropriate to refer to it by its Spanish name (Cultura española a traves del
cine, which means Spanish Culture Through Film). However, I think my readership
would probably appreciate it if I don’t throw speaking Spanish into this blog
post on top of the MIT-speak that I’m trying to keep to a minimum, so I’m going
to refrain from mixing too many different languages into this post. Suffice it
to say, basically what I’m going to be doing in this class is watching one film
a week, and examining what that film shows us about the culture of Spain or
Latin America. There are a lot of presentations throughout the semester, so
hopefully I’ll be decently good at speaking Spanish by the end.
21M.401 (Concert Choir): This one is less of a class, and more just for
fun, but I’m really looking forward to it. As the title suggests, it’s a
concert choir. There’s somewhere between 50 and 80 people in it, depending on
the semester. Last week was Rosh Hashanah, so not everyone showed up to
practice, so I’m not entirely sure how many people are in it this semester.
We’re singing two pieces by Verdi and one by Beethoven, and we’ll actually be
able to sing all four parts, which is a definite change from my all-girls high
school, where we were limited to only the Soprano and Alto parts. I’m excited
to be able to take a break from classes and work for a little while each week.
Hopefully it’ll help me get a bit better at balancing things.
I’m also going to be working at Burton Conner desk, like I did last year,
and I’m UROPing again in the Samson lab at MIT. We’re working on a different project
now though- we’re trying to confirm the accuracy of a test of glycosylase
activity (glycosylases are DNA repair proteins). Basically what we’ll be doing
is immortalizing different tissue lines, so that we can test the levels of DNA
repair and determine the amount of repair. The end goal is to create a test for
glycosylase activity that can be performed using one type of tissue.
Glycosylase activity levels are important because they can signal
predispositions for cancer risk, so being able to screen people for glycosylase
activity could provide them useful information about their health.
The other exciting things I did this week were going to a play (Avenue Q)
and going out to dinner with some friends. The play was put on by MIT’s Musical
Theater Guild, and it was pretty funny, in my opinion. For dinner, we went to a
pho (Vietnamese soup) restaurant in Harvard Square, which was delicious, as pho
usually is. I also bought a new backpack on that adventure, because the zipper
on mine broke. I have to say, I’m not really looking forward to being an adult
if everything costs so much... luckily, the backpacks were 50% off, so they
were much cheaper than the original prices, but the original prices were
massive! I don’t know why a backpack needs to cost upwards of $90... but I’m
not the one making them, so who knows. :P
That’s about it for this week... and
my desk shift is almost over, so I’m going to sign off for now. I hope that everyone
has a wonderful Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment