Monday, September 2, 2013

Do All the Things

            If anything, this week was even crazier than last week. Actually, I guess the week as a whole wasn’t that bad... it’s just the individual days that were insane. Which I guess makes the week rather insane. Okay... I’m going to stop trying to decide whether my week was crazy or not, and just tell you about it. You can draw your own conclusions. :)
            On Monday, I was conscripted into the West Campus ‘Water Wars’ team (and I somehow managed to get my friends conscripted as well... sorry guys). It all began when one of my friends who lives on the floor came looking for someone who knows how to use a circular saw. Being unfamiliar with the proper names for power tools, I said that I knew how to use one. (I have used power saws before, but generally only table saws and miter saws, neither of which I knew the appropriate name for until just now, and both of which I assumed could be circular saws, since they have circular blades. My father is probably hitting his head against a wall right now. :P ) Anyway, we figured out how circular saws work, and I ended up cutting about 25 or 30 pieces of wood to be used as shields during the Water War. We then somehow ended up painting said pieces of wood... and drilling holes in them to attach ropes... and attaching the ropes. We also ended up filling water balloons, carrying things over to the field, and eventually actually fighting in the Water War.
            Water War is something of an MIT tradition that takes place during Freshman Orientation every year. The West Campus dorms fight the East Campus dorms. It’s more or less a foregone conclusion that East Campus will win, if only because they manage to drum up more participants each year. The basic idea is to get the other team as soaking wet as possible, by throwing water balloons, or shooting homemade squirt guns, or dumping buckets of water on people. Essentially, you want to soak the other team by using whatever means necessary. This was actually my first year participating in Water Wars, because I was a lame freshman and only really went to the required orientation events. It was pretty exciting, as far as water balloon fights go.
            On Tuesday, I had a really, really long day. It began with buying eight watermelons at the grocery store. Yes, you read that right- I bought eight watermelons. Eight watermelons are surprisingly heavy; getting them back to the dorm was something of a struggle. I did manage it somehow though, and I got one and a half of them cut up before I had to head outside to get the barbecue set up. See, the reason that Tuesday was such a long day was because I was in charge of an eight-hour barbecue for my dorm, to try to get freshmen to come live with us. Don’t ask me why an eight-hour barbecue was necessary... I have zero idea. However, I was put in charge of it, so I spent 8+ hours on Tuesday grilling burgers and running around. I’m very, very grateful to all of my friends who allowed me to conscript them into helping. Without all of them, it’s very likely that it would have been a disaster. (As an example of the disaster potential inherent in this event, I spent the vast majority of the day cooking beef burgers, something that I don’t eat and have never really seen cooked... so if one of my friends hadn’t taught me in the morning what we were doing, there probably would have been some disgusting burgers served.)
            All eight watermelons were eaten fairly quickly, which I don’t find surprising at all (they were delicious). We grilled through lunch, and while there were slow periods, there was almost always someone who wanted a burger, or something that needed doing in order to keep everything running smoothly. We then continued grilling trough dinner time, but we eventually ran out of charcoal and had to stop. Unfortunately, my day wasn’t over at this point, since I was also in charge of a s’mores making event after the barbecue, that was scheduled to run for another four hours. Unfortunately (or fortunately, in my case) it had to be cut short for various reasons. As a result, I was done running events well before midnight, which was something of a relief, because I was exhausted.
            Tuesday was the last day of the REX part of freshman orientation. REX stands for Residential EXploration period, and it’s the time that MIT freshmen have to choose where they’re going to live. They’re temped in a dorm when they get to MIT, and then they can choose whether or not that dorm really fits what they’re looking for once they get here. Once all the freshmen have chosen their official dorms, there’s an in-dorm rooming process that lets them choose which floor best suits them within the dorm. This is especially important in dorms like Burton-Conner, where I live, in which each floor has a fairly unique culture. During the in-dorm rooming process in Burton-Conner, each floor has events intended to showcase some things about the floor, residents of the floor are available for questions, and there’s lots of good food.
            Floor Rush (as the in-dorm rooming process is known in Burton-Conner) is a lot of fun, but it’s also quite a bit of work to set up as an upperclassman. Again, this was a totally new experience for me, since I wasn’t involved in the setup of Floor Rush my freshman year, and I wasn’t back in Boston yet last year. It was fun, but not stress-free, since there were a lot of things to set up in a relatively short amount of time, and then there were three hours of trying to convince freshmen that my floor is the best place for them. I’m not nearly as shy as I was a few years ago, but large-scale social situations are still not really my cup of tea. Luckily, I managed to work around this by timing the people running the obstacle course, which basically allowed me to run a stopwatch and tell people their times, while leaving most of the convincing to the more persuasive members of my floor.
            For various reasons (most involving cleaning and advance planning for the next day, when the freshmen would find out what floor they were on, and we would place them in rooms where we thought they would fit best on the floor) I went to sleep fairly late on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.  And then I had to get up pretty early on Thursday in order to meet our new freshmen... this week had something of a theme of not getting enough sleep. Thursday morning and early afternoon was filled with doing a lot of stuff to get the rooming information for our floor to the appropriate people and corrected in all the places it needed to be corrected. After we were done with that, we had a few hours to take a break and just chill before helping our GRT (Graduate Resident Tutor; the grad student who lives on our floor and is there for advice/cookie making/general helpfulness) make dinner for the freshmen. She had decided on a pizza making event, so the freshmen all made their pizzas in one of the conference rooms in Burton-Conner, and then we brought them upstairs and cooked them, returning them to the freshmen when the pizzas were done. It was a lot of fun, and we got to use some of the leftover dough to make pizzas for ourselves for dinner, which was awesome.
            Friday was the first full day where I didn’t have anything REX or Floor Rush or Orientation related to do... so I slept for a good portion of it. :P On Friday night, a group of friends and I went into Harvard Square to have dinner and celebrate being back together and done with REX things. We went to the Thai restaurant that I had gone to earlier in the summer, and it was delicious once again. It’s definitely going on my list of go-to restaurants.
            On Saturday, I woke up not feeling great, but I had been planning to go running with two of my friends, so I decided I should at least try to do that. It was pretty much an epic fail... first of all, I’m not a very fast runner, even when I’m in top form, so running with these two (both of whom are a good deal faster than me) was maybe not my best plan ever. Additionally, I was having trouble not coughing every time I tried to breathe... so running was maybe not the best idea. I ended up taking a three mile walk, which took more out of me than I can state without being embarrassed. We had planned to go grocery shopping after we got back, but I was wiped out, both because I’m severely out of shape and because of my cold, so I kind of just went back to sleep and took two three hour naps. I more or less hid in my room for the rest of that day, watching awful movies on Hulu (a free internet video streaming site) and sleeping. This recuperation method seemed to work pretty well though, because I definitely felt better after sleeping. My guess is that high stress levels and being ridiculously busy shot my immune system, so that once I finally relaxed a little bit, the evil common cold caught up to me. Not the most scientific explanation, perhaps, but one that makes some amount of sense in this case.
            On Sunday I slept pretty late again, and then spent a good portion of the day setting up my room, something that I hadn’t really done up to that point. It’s not all that exciting... but it is cleaner than it will probably be all year, so I took some pictures (see below) for posterity.

This is my corner of the room- I hung up some pictures above my bed.

The poster you can see to the left of the window is a list of 101 things to do before you graduate from MIT... I've got 57.5 done so far. (The half is because the last one is "Earn your degree" and I'm halfway there, which is utterly bizarre.)


Next week is the start of my Junior year, which is totally ridiculous to think about... I feel so old! Hopefully it will be good though... we’ll see! :D

Also, I mentioned the Revere Beach Sand Castle Contest in one of my previous posts, back in the middle of the summer. I was unable to take pictures of the sculptures because my camera died, but I stumbled across a webpage that had the pictures posted today, so I’m including the link here: http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=78413


I hope everyone has a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment