Monday, April 27, 2015

Recapping My Time Away

Alrighty, it’s probably finally time for that recap post I’ve been not writing for the past couple of weeks.  Of course, it’s been a long time since I began my hiatus, so I’m likely to forget a few things.  If I forget to mention something fun/impactful that I did with you, I apologize- this post would probably be as long as my final papers if I were to try to include everything.

With that said, I think the best way to go about this is just to go month by month and point out a couple of highlights from each (where applicable... some months were kind of boring).  So, here’s your recap post!

December

Finals were, as usual, horrible.  I managed not to completely stuff my face with cheesecake at the biannual dessert study break (although I did eat a decent amount of sugar, so the abstention from dessert was certainly not a complete one).  I only had one final, and it was in a class that I felt okay about, so taking the exam itself was not that bad.  The horrible part was the lead up to that bit- the part where I have to force myself to sit in one place and study.  As someone who is easily distracted and gets bored with studying fairly quickly, this is never an easy task.  It happened though, and the semester ended up being my best at MIT so far, so it worked out well.

Then I came home for Christmas break, which was as wonderful as it always is.  Seeing my family is always a great change of pace from being at MIT.  Plus, Christmas break means Christmas Eve, which means dinner at Grandma and Grandpa’s house, which is definitely one of the highlights of my year.  We’ve started a tradition of Christmas crackers (the ones with the toys and paper crowns, not the kind that are baked without yeast), and it’s always fun to see people wearing the paper crowns and telling the dorky jokes that are inside the crackers.

Christmas break also marked the start of my entry into the modern era, as I got a smartphone from my parents.  Having the phone has already saved my butt on multiple occasions, and I’m very pleased with it.  It was especially convenient at the end of Christmas break, since my computer decided that it didn’t like working anymore, and went on strike.

January

January didn’t start off particularly well, since my computer wasn’t working at all, and I had no idea what was wrong with it.  I brought it in to the Apple store and they were able to diagnose the issue, but I spent three weeks without my computer.  Luckily the lab has an old one for lab use that I was able to do my work on during the day, and MIT has a great technology infrastructure that I was able to use after going home from lab.  Plus, smart phones are ridiculous and can do pretty much everything computers can at this point, so really I was just missing out on the convenience of a full keyboard.
Overall, being without a computer wasn’t too bad, with the exception that I was supposed to be working on a presentation that I was giving at the end of January.  In a colossal stroke of luck though, it came back to me a week and a half before the presentation, so I was able to get everything done on time.

Every year, the Biology department hosts the Undergraduate Biology Research Symposium, and undergrads who have done something interesting or exciting with their research are invited to speak.  I spent most of January preparing for the presentation, either by doing experiments to have results to present, or by prepping the presentation.  By the time the symposium actually happened, I had probably given my presentation at least 5 times to my grad student, which he somehow managed not to complain about.  I know I was bored with the slides by the time I actually gave the presentation, so I’m not sure how he wasn’t. :P

The presentation itself went fairly smoothly- I was only freaking out a little bit, and I only messed up a few times.  All of the information came across eventually though, and people were able to ask questions beyond basic “could you explain this again” type things, so apparently I was somewhat understandable.  My lab showed up to listen to me speak, as did my friends.  And Bob Weinberg, who’s a major figure in cancer biology research heard me speak, which is only slightly terrifying.  Luckily I didn’t realize he was there until after my presentation, or I might have gone completely to pieces.

February

February brought the start of the new semester- my last at MIT.  It also brought my first grad school interview, which was pretty much completely terrifying.  I was invited to interview at University of South Florida, at the Moffitt Cancer Center.  On the way down, I was excited and nervous and also really nervous. :P  Getting off of the plane was amazing though- it was the first time in several months that I had been able to stand outside comfortably without a jacket, which was a very welcome change from the negative temperatures Boston had been seeing.

The interviews themselves went well, I thought.  Until I was sitting on the plane on my way back to Boston and began second-guessing everything that I had said.  That was a fun couple of hours.  Interviews for grad school were completely different from any interview I had done before- to begin with, there were seven of them on one day, which was a blast.  It was definitely one of the longest days I had experienced in recent memory.  The interviews also seemed a lot less structured- they tended to be more conversations about my work and how it intersected with the professors’ work than “Tell me about a time you failed” type questions.

Overall though, the interviews went well, and I was offered a spot at the Moffitt Cancer Center, which I managed to only freak out a little bit about when I found out.  (By which I mean that I freaked out a lot, internally, and managed to only vibrate a little bit/be incapable of speaking English externally for about two hours).  An hour after I was offered a spot at Moffitt, Vanderbilt invited me to go there for an interview as well, so I scheduled that interview for March.

March

March was still extremely snowy in Boston, and I had some serious cabin fever.  Luckily, heading down to Nashville to visit Vanderbilt provided a change of scenery, if not much change of temperature (the South was having a cold spell, complete with snow and ice storms.  It wasn’t a very good winter for the East Coast).  Again, I felt like my interviews went well, even though I was fairly exhausted from getting in to Nashville at 3 am after several delayed flights. 

I also ended up getting offered a spot at Vanderbilt, which meant that I got a chance to make a decision, which everyone who knows me well knows is my favorite thing.  After much deliberation including several conversations with various professors, and many pro and con lists, and talking to my grad student several times, I finally decided to accept the offer from the Moffitt Cancer Center at USF, so I’ll be spending the next several years in sunny Tampa.  It’ll be my first real experience spending any considerable amount of time in the heat, so we’ll see how that bit goes.  I’m excited about the research portion though, so if all else fails I’ll just hang out in the air-conditioned labs all the time. :P

The rest of March was not that exciting- it mostly consisted of trying to play catch up from the classes that I had missed for interviews, and trying not to drown under mountains of work.  And, of course, the traditional week of procrastination on work that is Spring Break.  I spent a good deal of it in lab, which was as enjoyable as always.  I spent approximately none of it doing the homework that I was supposed to start during my week without classes.  It was possibly a poor life choice, but probably one that I needed, since I was feeling a tiny bit burnt out before spring break. 

April

April marked the start of senioritis... I’ve got that one pretty bad.  The realization that everything was almost done and that there were only about two months left to finish everything in lab and in my classes was terrifying, but in such a way that I pretty much just wanted to curl up and sleep until it was over.  The amount of work that I had to do was (and still is) daunting, and sleep is pretty much the best thing ever (with the possible exception of eating and then taking a nap... or napping and then having a snack.  Or reading and napping and eating... okay, you get my drift.  Basically anything besides working is the best thing ever). 

Looking at my calendar has gotten terrifying to the point that I’ve had to break up my stuff into categories so that I can look at pieces of it at a time- both because I have to take a minute to calm down if I try to consider it all at once, and because I honestly can’t see everything if I don’t hide some of it most of the time.  To be fair, it’s still pretty cramped-looking if I hide everything except my calendar of exams and assignment due dates, so it’s possibly just a thing that for the next three weeks I’m going to be stupidly busy, and I’ll probably consume a lot more coffee than I would on average.

April has, more than anything, consisted of due dates, many of which I have struggled a bit to meet, largely due to the aforementioned lack of motivation that comes with senioritis.  None of my final projects have had due dates yet though, so I’ll give you a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the next two weeks in order to close out this post (This is doubling as my To-do list for the next two weeks, so you can feel free to skip it if you want- I’ll probably complain about at least one of these things in the coming weeks.)

Final Projects

10-12 page paper for WGS.115 (Gender and Technology), on a topic of my choice.  I’ve chosen to look at gender biases in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) research and higher education fields, with a focus on any hiring biases that may exist.  I’m going to try to look at why there tend to be fewer women in STEM fields as a whole.

10-12 page paper for 7.27 (Principles of Human Disease) on a disease of my choice, proposing a research project (either experiment-based or clinical trial based).  This is the paper I wrote about in my last post, where I had something of a realization about science and myself. I’m writing about Xeroderma Pigmentosum, which is conveniently something I need to do research for lab about as well.  Yes, I planned that, in a somewhat misguided effort to make my life easier.  Misguided because I think that I need two very different depths of knowledge for the class versus for lab, not because I think my efforts will go to waste. :P

25-30 minute presentation for 7.33 (Evolutionary Biology) on two scientific papers about a topic in evolution.  Somehow I managed to not plan this one very well, and I’ll be giving a presentation on two papers about the evolution of E. coli.  It’s not exactly the most interesting topic I could have chosen.  And I need to know these papers backwards and forwards, since the 25-30 minute presentation will be stretched out into a 90 minute discussion with the class professors about these two papers.  Keeping in mind that evolutionary biology is probably my least favorite class this semester, you can understand why I’m not looking forward to this particular project at all.

Final Exams

Take-home exam for 3.985 (Intro to Archeological Sciences).  This one shouldn’t be too difficult, it’s just time consuming and not very interesting.  Pretending to be interested in things that I’m not is certainly not one of my strong points.  However, I did decently on my last take-home exam (particularly considering that I wrote my answers in a grand total of about 3 hours) so I’m not too concerned with this one.

Actual final exam for 18.05 (Intro to Probability and Statistics).  This one is going to take some serious reviewing.  Luckily, I’ll be done with everything other than lab by the time that I need to start studying for this, so at least I’ll have some time on my hands to review the material.  Unluckily, this will probably involve me sitting in a classroom doing a large number of practice problems over and over until I understand the material, so we’re probably going to run into my problem with focusing and staying interested in what I’m doing again.  So basically the same thing that’s happened in every final exam so far at MIT.  At least I’m consistent. :P

Other stuff

On top of my final assignments/exams, I’ve still got a few minor assignments to turn in, and I’m still doing lab stuff.  One of the lab things I’m still working on is a poster for a poster session that my department holds every year.  Poster sessions are weird things, and since this post is already a couple of thousand words long, I’m going to refrain from describing them here.  Suffice it to say that I have to make a poster describing my research, and it’s yet another thing that I get bored/frustrated with doing, and find ways to procrastinate on (like writing this blog post... or doing pretty much anything besides making the poster).  I really am an expert procrastinator. :P



No comments:

Post a Comment