I know you’re all expecting a post that explains my class
schedule for the semester. And I
promise, I will get to that eventually (where eventually means probably next
week or so... depending on various circumstances). But today I don’t feel like writing an
explanatory post- I’m in the mood to extol the virtues of something again. For the past several weeks/months I’ve been
working on figuring out what I want to do with my life, which is always a fun
process. Specifically what I’ve been
doing is trying to draft a Statement of Purpose for my grad school applications
(still working on where exactly I’m applying... I have a lot of things I’m
trying to figure out at the moment).
Statements of Purpose are a way for grad school application
committees to get to know you without actually meeting you. The statement is meant to succinctly describe
who you are, and why you’re excited about what the field in which you’re
planning to pursue a degree. As a
result, they require a not-insignificant amount of soul-searching and lots and
lots of revisions. I’m experiencing a
bit of writers’ block on my actual statement at the moment, but a very smart
friend of mine encouraged me to break it down to the small, simple pieces, and
then build it back up again, adding complexity as I revise (she specifically
told me to use 3-year-old language, which makes things surprisingly
difficult). Anyway, today’s blog post is
going to be something of an attempt to identify exactly what it is about
biology that captivates me- if some of it makes it into my eventual Statement
of Purpose, so much the better.
In 3-year-old terms, I want to study biology because it will
allow me to help get rid of diseases that hurt a lot of people. In slightly more sophisticated terms, I want
to pursue a doctoral degree in Biology because I want to be able to do research
that will eventually contribute to finding cures for diseases such as
cancer. The driving force behind this
desire is that I want to be able to help people, but I’m really more of the behind-the-scenes
type than is generally recommended for doctors.
Plus, the monotone is really not ideal for good bedside manner. :P
I think the moment that inspired me to pursue biology was
during an AP Bio lecture where we were studying genetics. The idea that such miniscule molecules (DNA,
in this case) could define whether you were able to curl your tongue, or if you
had a hitchhiker’s thumb, or what color your eyes are, or whether you’re
predisposed to certain types of cancer was incredible to me. We considered the ethics of knowing so much
about yourself, and of manipulating the tiny molecules that define us so that
we could eradicate genetic diseases. I
think that’s the main idea that grabbed me and refused to let go. DNA is so tiny that its form wasn’t
understood until the early 1950s, simply because the technology wasn’t
available yet to comprehend things that small.
At the same time though, based on back-of-the-envelope calculations, all
of the DNA in your body is enough to stretch from the Earth to the Sun 100
times over, if lined up on end (source).
DNA alone is absolutely incredible, and to understand everything about
it would take several lifetimes. On the
other hand though, that means that there’s never a reason to be bored, at
least.
I came home from class today severely overwhelmed at the
sheer magnitude of things that I don’t know anything about. We spent an hour talking about how mouse
embryos develop, and how they can be manipulated to do experiments on certain
genes or systems. In that hour, at least
20 words were mentioned that I had never heard before, and for Wednesday’s
lecture I need to read two scientific papers that deal pretty heavily with the
meanings of those 20 words. In lab, my grad student is working on a series of projects
that will allow us to quantify a person’s DNA repair capacity just by looking
at their blood samples. I’m working on a
connected project that’s looking to determine the pathway by which a specific
DNA lesion is repaired. And that’s,
what, three people, out of the hundreds or thousands of scientists working at
MIT? And MIT is one out of hundreds or
thousands of research universities in the world? The number of problems that are currently
being worked on is just incredible.
Which is what draws me to science in general, I think. There’s a path by which the answer can be
found, so it’s more defined than art or literature. But there are a seemingly endless number of
problems to be worked on, and even by solving one problem you’re just opening
up more questions about another one.
Biology, in particular, is probably the most easily
applicable subset of science- it’s fairly easy to see how finding the answer to
a biology problem will benefit the greater community in addition to providing
general knowledge. What I love about
biology isn’t that it’s applicable though, I don’t think. I love biology because of the challenge. It’s not a straightforward search for
answers- there’s a substantial amount of troubleshooting and thinking that
needs to be done even before you can start looking for answers. Honestly, that’s the boring part. If I could just do lab work without thinking
about it, I’d be totally down for that.
But that wouldn’t be science- it’d be factory work. And while I’m not a person who’s predicting
that robots will one day take over the world, I can appreciate that what sets
us apart from them at the moment is our ability to come up with new ideas and
creatively solve problems. So while
sitting down and just thinking about the problem can be ridiculously boring,
it’s also an integral part of the scientific process.
Basically, what I’m trying to say is the biology is stupidly
cool, and I’m glad I get to keep doing it, because there’s just a ridiculous
amount of things that I don’t know yet.
But you know what the great thing about being a scientist is? It's completely okay that there's a ridiculous amount of things I don't know. Because that's the entire point of science.
No comments:
Post a Comment