Hi, it’s me
again, Alycia. Who? Oh, right that girl who occasionally writes
blog posts about her life and then disappears off the face of the earth for a
while. That one. I like her, she’s funny
sometimes. (Aw, thanks me, I think
you’re funny too!)
And now
that that’s out of my system- hello again everyone! I’m sorry it’s been so long
since my last post... life didn’t get busy so much as the busy-ness caught up
with me and there were a large number of things going on that I needed to deal
with. And now there’s only two weeks until finals, and I’m freaking out a tiny
bit. Only a tiny bit because I’m very
much in denial about how quickly time passes... talk to me again on Thursday
evening, and I’ll probably be freaking out a good deal more (one of my final
projects is due on Thursday... more on that to come).
Before I
give you the highlights of the last three weeks and the lowlights of the next
two though, I have a couple of exciting things/big life events/stuff to
share. In all likelihood, anyone reading
this already knows from one avenue or another, but next year, there’ll be not
one but TWO Gardner girls on the East Coast! My favorite younger sister will be
joining me over here in the lovely state of Massachusetts. She won’t be in
Boston, sadly, but she’ll be attending Brandeis, which is only about a 45
minute bus ride away (don’t worry, I’m already planning weekend trips to harass
her/see the lovely city of Waltham. (Be excited Kerri!)).
The other news is more
me-centric. As of last week, I’ve officially
changed my major from Course 20 (Biological Engineering) to Course 7
(Biology). It was a tough decision, but
after several tearful hours of talking it over with people who made similar
switches, as well as with my PI (Principal Investigator- she’s the professor
who runs the lab I UROP in), my grad student, and my Course 20 advisor, I
decided it was the best decision in the long run. Math and I just aren’t friends, and I’m more
interested in the biology-based reasoning behind things anyway. Plus, from what I’ve seen, even straight
biology classes at MIT tend to incorporate some elements of engineering... so
it’s not like I’m totally getting out of it. :P
And probably least excitingly, I’ve
signed up to take the GRE this summer.
The GRE (or, as I’ve just now decided to
pseudo-affectionately call it, the SAT on steroids) is the standardized
entrance exam for grad schools. It
sounds long and horrible and scary, but it’ll hopefully be in an air
conditioned room, which will be nice, since I’m taking it in Boston in
August. Ahhh time moves so quickly! Okay, now I’m freaking out a little more...
it’s really weird thinking that I’m going to be a senior soon, and then I’ll have
to do real person things. So, in the
spirit of denial, I’m going to ignore that fact for a bit, and tell you about
what I’ve been up to in the three weeks I managed to not write a blog post.
First, I
know I said in my last post that I was going to go cheer at the Marathon on
Marathon Monday... that didn’t actually happen.
My friends and I did go out to lunch that day though, which was
nice. It was a gorgeous day- perfect
marathon weather (or so I’m told... having never actually run a marathon, I
can’t really say that I’m in a position to comment). I’m not totally sure why I decided not to
go... it probably had something to do with the fact that I didn’t want to walk
all the way to Boston. I like to say
that I’m efficient with my energy usage (that’s Alycia code for lazy). I’ll have to go watch next year though, since
it’s one of the things on my 101 Things to Do Before You Graduate list.
Speaking of
that list, I crossed something else off of it this week. On Friday, some friends and I went out to
dinner with our Cell Biology professor.
I was expecting it to be awkward at best and terrifying at worst, but it
was actually a lot of fun! We didn’t get
quizzed on our cell bio knowledge- instead we had legitimate conversations
about life and school and pretty much everything. It was really nice to have a professor take
so much interest in what we had to say. He was really intrigued by the general
undergrad culture at MIT... apparently that’s not something professors get much
exposure to. It was also a good chance
to try a new restaurant at no cost to myself- MIT reimburses one meal with a
professor per semester for undergrads.
While the restaurant we went to probably isn’t my new go-to spot, it was
a nice change of pace from the pasta with various sauces and vegetables/meats
mixed in that I’ve been making for myself.
And while
we’re on the topic of dinners with professors, I should probably mention that I
went to a party at my PI’s house a couple of weekends ago. She invited the lab over to her house for
dinner to celebrate one of our grad students getting his Ph.D. My PI’s house is a gorgeous old house out in
the middle of the suburbs (it took me over an hour on the T to get there). It was a really fun party, and I actually
managed to not just sit and play with her dogs the whole time (that’s kind of
what I was expecting to do haha). I did
technically follow various members of our lab around and just add things to
conversations at random points throughout the night... but it was slightly more
sociable than just hanging out with the dogs... and since I was the only undergrad
there, I’m going to count it as a win.
Continuing
on the subject of food, we had a Dim Sum IFAF (inter-floor activity) with some
of the other floors in Burton Conner. As
with all of my dim sum experiences up to this point, I kind of just sat back
and let other people at my table order... grabbing food at various points
throughout the meal. It was a lot of fun
to get to interact with people from other floors, many of whom I’d seen, but
not spoken to. The food was delicious as
well, which is always a plus.
Another
thing I’ve done in the past few weeks has been playing copious amounts of
volleyball and kickball. (Copious amounts here means one to two games a week...
but compared to the amount of exercise I’ve been getting, it’s a lot of stuff).
Kickball is weird in that it works the most random muscles... I’m pretty sure
I’ve never felt most of the muscles that are in pain right now. It’s been fun
though- kind of a throwback to elementary school, which is the last time that I
played either kickball or volleyball.
I’m not good at either game, by any means, but it’s been fun to go out
an play games and run around for a bit.
That’s a
general overview of the exciting things I’ve done in the past few weeks. There have been other things that were fun,
that I’m sure I’m missing, but I’m going to leave it at that for the moment in
favor of complaining about life. As I
mentioned, it’s only two weeks before finals, which means that ALL of the
things are due. Including Monday (which is technically yesterday for me) I have
three projects due in a week’s span that are worth 10% or more of my grade in
various classes. On the bright side, after next Monday I’ll be totally free to
study for finals. On the other hand,
that means there’s only a week until finals... as you can see, I’m on track to
begin the freaking out about finals process :P.
This week
specifically, I turned in the first version of my final project for my HASS
(humanities) class yesterday. On
Thursday, I’ll be turning in a term paper and giving a presentation in my
remaining course 20 class (Molecular, Cell, and Tissue Biomechanics). Although it’s a group presentation, so I’ll
only be speaking for about 2 minutes, I’m still a bit nervous. The paper and presentation together are worth
20% of my grade in that class... so it’s kind of a make it or break it type of
situation. The last thing I’ll have due
is the final version of my HASS project.
As it currently stands, I’m planning to implement a version of Mad Libs
that uses Children’s Songs as the base text.
The ‘artistic’ goal of the piece, as I’m envisioning it, is to examine
how our perception of well-known texts is altered by changing key words. My plan might change before Monday though, so
we’ll see what happens there.
After that,
it’s time for finals, and then I’ll be flying home to see my sister graduate,
and spend some time at home before coming back to Boston for the summer to work
in lab. Hopefully I’ll figure out what
I’m doing in lab by then... it’s been a bit of a strugglefest for the past
couple of weeks. None of my experiments have been working as planned. We’re working on optimizing the protocols
though, so hopefully it will start working soon-ish. Preferably before I head home for the summer
so that I can start with the next stage of our project over the summer.
And now
that it’s sufficiently past Monday over here, I’m going to sign off. Maybe I’ll
post next week... given my track record it’s unlikely, but we’ll work on that.
:P
No comments:
Post a Comment