Maybe I
should just start doing biweekly blogs... it seems like I’d be more likely to
be on schedule then. :P I’ve obviously missed a few weeks... so this post is
mostly a recap of those few weeks and why I’ve missed them. Nothing super
exciting, but it’s yet another crazy week coming up, so there’s not much I can
do to give you exciting, unfortunately.
Let’s start
with the reason I’ve missed a couple of weeks. In what has been both a blessing
and a curse, I only have one week with multiple exams this semester. While this
might seem wonderful initially, it has a dark side that you might not guess at
first- I have one exam, quiz, or project due date every week, with the
exception of the weeks of our campus preview weekend (when I’ll be busy anyway,
shepherding prefrosh around and showing them why MIT is the best place ever)
and the week of Easter, which also happens to be the week of the Boston
Marathon this year. Aside from those two weeks in a 12-ish week semester, I’m
continuously being evaluated on how I’ve been doing in classes. Which is always
fun, of course. And it’s even better in college than in high school, let me
tell you. Night exams are totally my
favorite thing (I’m being entirely sarcastic here, in case that wasn’t clear...
it’s surprisingly difficult to focus on taking an exam when you’ve already had
dinner and are in homework-doing-slash-chilling-a-bit mode).
The
constant go-go-go is great, until you realize that you’re mildly exhausted and
decide that something has to give. Unfortunately, the thing that I’ve dropped
for the past few weeks has been writing a blog post... which is sub-optimal, I
know... but at some point sleep is more or less necessary. And honestly, when I
say more or less I mean very... sleep is extremely necessary. I do far too
little of it already, as is probably true for the majority of MIT and/or
college students. Siblings, if you’re reading this, the single best thing you
can do when you go to college is sleep enough. If you get less than six
straight hours a night, your ability to process and remember information
decreases (science facts... I’m not just making up numbers). And let me tell
you, things move quickly enough in class these days that that whole remembering
thing? It’s rather important. Okay. End rant. But the point is: sleep. It’s
critical.
Not too
many exciting things have happened over the past couple of weeks,
unfortunately. We had a brief period of almost-spring where I almost abandoned
my winter coat for a lighter jacket. This was quickly brought to a halt by
another quarter inch of snow though... Boston weather is actually ridiculous.
(This week we’ll have a day with highs in the 20’s, and then another day later
in the week with highs in the 50’s. On the plus side, at least I’m not bored.
:P)
After
getting some absolutely abysmal results in lab the Monday before last, my grad
student told me to take the week to study for my exam. This turned out to be a
good thing, since I definitely needed the time to study. I was rather grumpy at
myself for the horrible results though, which is never fun. On the plus side,
when I redid the tests the following week (so last week) the results were much
cleaner, even if they still weren’t what we were expecting to see.
The one big
thing that happened over the past two weeks was that we had Floormal, which is
my floor’s formal dance that occurs once a year. We set people up with ‘blind
dates’ (usually someone in their friend group, or at least their friends’
friend group). And then we dance and eat food, and it’s generally a good time.
As floor chairs, Michelle and I were in charge of buying the food and setting
things up this year, which was a great deal of work. I can honestly say that
I’ve never bought so many things from Shaw’s in my life. I can’t say I never
will again, since that would be tempting fate, but we bought a truly impressive
amount of stuff. The party went pretty well though, so I’m happy with the
outcome.
That’s
pretty much the majority of what’s been going on. I, of course, have another
exam this week, but it’s almost Spring Break! Which means that I’ll be home in
Seattle for a little over a week, and I’ll get to play with babies and see my
family and possibly enjoy a good old fashioned Seattle spring rainstorm (I know
my mom wouldn’t particularly appreciate that, since then we’d have to entertain
the babies inside all day... but I do love a good Seattle rainstorm). And since
I’ll be home next week, hopefully I’ll actually be able to post on time!
(Maybe... it remains to be seen how much time I’ll have between catching up on
sleep and hanging out with my family. :P) Here’s to another crazy week!
Great update, thank you. Can't wait to see you.
ReplyDelete