Thursday, November 28, 2013

In Honor of Thanksgiving

In honor of Thanksgiving, this is going to be a list of things I’m thankful for. Which is actually a ridiculously large number of things. So if I forget to write about something, it’s probably not because I’m not thankful for it... I just have so many things to be thankful for that it’s hard to keep track of them all. So here’s a list of just some of the things that I’m thankful for this year.

1.     My family
Yes, it’s cliché. But I’m really grateful for my insane, wonderful, ridiculous family. They’re always there for me when I need them, and they don’t mind disappearing for a bit when I’m busy. Which is a very good thing, considering the amount of time I spend being busy. :P And they never fail to make me laugh, which is always a good thing. My family is weird. Anyone who’s seen us together would have trouble denying that. But we work. And we love each other, even when we don’t like each other. Which is all that really matters.

2.     My friends
Again, cliché. I know. But if this year has taught me one thing, it’s that there are people here who genuinely care about me, and people about whom I genuinely care. And although that is something we often take for granted, it’s one of the best things about life. I could explain why I’m grateful for my friends until I’m blue in the face, and I probably still wouldn’t be able to hit all of the reasons. So thank you guys, for being there.

3.     Crazy weather
Boston weather hasn’t been great recently- temperatures were below freezing for about four days last week, and then yesterday it was 65°F, with 20 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 45+ mph. Boston weather is notoriously bipolar, and this week was no different. It was fun though, having to dig out all my winter clothes only to put them back a few days later. Bizarre, but fun.

4.     My health
Although I’ve had a low-level cold for the past few weeks, I’ve never had any major health problems (knock on wood). Which is really pretty awesome, when you think about it. It’s one of the many things I definitely don’t think about (as in really at all). And I’m grateful that I don’t have to put much thought into it.

5.     My computer
In a stereotypical ‘you don’t know what you have till it’s gone’ type scenario, my computer decided to totally die on me last week. It wouldn’t boot past the first boot screen, and decided that only showing the red pixels was a good idea. So I had to take it into the Apple Store, which was a bit crazy. I’m glad I have it back now- I really didn’t realize how much I depend on it until I had to go to a computer lab to do my homework and all of the settings were weird. It was an interesting experience, to say the least.

The problem with lists of things that you’re thankful for is that somehow they always end up sounding mildly insincere. And they’re always incomplete. But considering that I already wrote a mammoth post today, I’m going to leave this one here. I’m so thankful for everything I have, even if it’s difficult to express in writing. But in particular I’m grateful for anyone who’s reading this, because chances are that you’ve done a lot to support me over the past year. Lots of love, and happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I hope you’re all having a good holiday season so far.

~Alycia


No comments:

Post a Comment