Full disclosure: my favorite part
of living in Boston isn’t the fact that I go to an amazing school, or that the
weather is occasionally crazy, or that I get to meet ridiculously wonderful
people every day. My favorite part of living in Boston actually only happens
once a year. You might be thinking, “Alycia... is it really worth living in
Boston, 3000+ miles away from your family, for something that happens once a
year?” And I’d probably reply to that by saying “Yeah... that’s probably true.
But there’s a really awesome stuff that happens year-round; I just really,
really love this one thing”. And now that I’ve totally talked around any point
that I was trying to make, I’ll come out and say it: I LOVE the Head of the
Charles.
This year was especially awesome
because I got the chance to volunteer at the Head of the Charles. I was a
back-up timer both days this weekend. This meant that I was helping run the
manual timing that was meant to serve as a check for the computer timing (which
sounded like a very complicated process, involving two cameras, some timers,
and a whole lot of scanning images). On the first day of the regatta, I was
timing boats at the start line, which was a relatively calm process. The way
the Head of the Charles works is that boats are started at roughly 15 second
intervals to each other, and then they try to chase down the boats in front of
them over the three mile race course. As a result, timing at the start line was
a calm, collected process- basically all we had to do was mark down the time
that each boat started.
A picture of me volunteering at the finish line. The girl behind me is Grace, another volunteer from MIT.
In contrast, timing at the finish
line, which I did on the second day of the regatta, was something of a
madhouse. By the time they get to the finish line, the boats are no longer in
the correct order, and they’re not spaced out in regular 15 second intervals.
The system at the finish line involves a boat spotter telling a line of waiting
volunteers what the next boat coming down the course is, a volunteer running
over to the finish line, and waiting until the bow (the front of the boat)
crosses it, and then coming back to the person with the computer to tell them
the time. When you’ve got boats coming in in quick succession to one another,
this can get a little bit hectic.
Despite the craziness, timing the
racers made for one of the best weekends I’ve had in a while. It was incredibly
awesome to be able to see my high school team finish the race (one of the boats
even came in first!), to see my friends on the crew team here finish, and to
watch Olympians, both past and future, rowing on the river that’s part of the
city that’s become my home away from home. I only geeked out a little bit at
the Olympians... but they were only about 50 feet away from me! And their boat
moved so smoothly through the water! The poor lady who was timing with me
didn’t row... so I don’t think she understood what I was so excited about. But
it’s not everyday that you’re so close to world-class athletes racing in one of
the biggest regattas in the world, so I think my excitement was justified.
Giving up rowing last year was a
bit rough for me. Honestly, giving up anything that’s been a central part of
your life for over five years is going to be difficult. The great thing about
rowing though, is that it’s not necessary to be actively rowing to be a part of
the community. There’s a language that you learn when you’re a rower- about
erging, and 2k tests, the difference between a fartlek workout and steady state
pieces, and so much more. And that doesn’t just disappear once you’re no longer
on the water everyday. There’s still people that I share that language with,
which allows me to still be a part of the community of rowers.
That being said, I have every
intention of becoming an actual rower in that community again some day. I’ve
never been a particularly athletically inclined person, but rowing offered me a
way to stay in shape that I loved, and I felt more like ‘me’ while I was on the
water. As crazy as it sounds, I really miss the feeling that you’re about to
pass out after a 2k, knowing that you’ve given your all, and no matter how you
did, there’s nothing more you could have done to improve it. I miss the long
head races (anything longer than a 2 kilometer race is generally considered a
head race). I miss knowing that my legs couldn’t possibly do any more, but also
knowing that they were going to have to do more, because there’s still 250
meters to go. I miss having a coxswain yelling at me, telling the boat that
there’s something more we have to give to beat whomever we’re competing
against. I miss getting up at zero dark thirty to drive to the regatta site, so
we can rig our boats in almost complete darkness. There’s a lot of things that
I miss about rowing, and while I know that I made the right decision about
taking a break from it right now, wild horses couldn’t keep me from going back
to it someday.
With that said, I’d like to issue a
standing invitation to anyone who cares to accept- Someday I’m going to race on
the Charles again. It might be in 10, or 20, or even more years. But I got a
taste for what racing in the Head of the Charles is like when I was in high
school. And I watched some really good friends get a medal last weekend. I want
to go back and compete on the Charles again. Whether it’s in a club 8 when I’m
a master, in a single (if I ever figure out how to race in a single and not be
terrified of hitting bridges), or in one of the Directors’ Challenge events
that people view as less prestigious, since you pay your way in rather than
qualifying, I’m going back to the Charles. And you’re welcome to join me.

No comments:
Post a Comment