As it turns out, I have very little
idea what I’m doing with this blog... my life doesn’t seem nearly exciting
enough to entertain whoever is taking the time out of their day to read this.
Or rather, I find it exciting, but chances are you’re not going to find a
detailed description about learning to do a Western blot test particularly
interesting. (To be honest, I don’t really find it that interesting either...
Western blots are ridiculously finicky and take pretty much forever. There are
at least seven pages of instructions on how to perform this one test. The
longest protocol I’ve seen previously was about three.) So today, instead of
talking about my life, I think I’m going to discuss things I miss from home a
bit, and why I’m excited to be here for the summer.
After reading the first post, one
of my friends asked if I missed Washington at all. The answer is, of course,
that I do! I miss all the people back home who are completely awesome, I miss
my puppy (Okay, she’s almost 11, but she’s a puppy at heart), I miss Mom’s cooking, I
miss normal weather patterns; In short, I miss a lot of things about
Washington. The great thing about Boston though, is that it’s actually a lot
like Seattle, so it’s easy to forget about missing the things from home (I
still miss the people from home, of course).
There are also a ton of things to do here, so it’s hard to be bored. The
rain has put a bit of a damper on exploring in the past week or so, but at some
point this summer, I would definitely like to do a bunch of the historic Boston-y
things that I’ve somehow been too busy to do in my first two years of college,
like walking the freedom trail, and going to see the harbor. Tourist-y stuff.
:P
I guess the reason that I’m not
always just thinking about home though, is that I’m excited about the things
I’m doing here. In high school, my friends and I used to joke about what we
were going to do in the world when we were grown ups- mine was always curing
some major disease. Granted, I’m just learning lab techniques right now, but a
lot of the things I’m doing this summer actually have some potential to help on
the path to finding a cure for cancer, or at least understanding cancer better.
And that’s incredibly cool, at least in my opinion. What I’m doing may only be
one brick in the pathway to curing/understanding cancer, but (to abuse the
metaphor) even that one brick will let us walk a little bit further down the path.
I’m not trying to brag here... but I’m incredibly excited that I get to help
increase the amount of knowledge in the world. So that’s probably what I’m most
excited about this summer. :)
My first two years at MIT were
challenging on various levels- academically, socially,
learning-to-take-care-of-myself-ally. But I hope that I can continue to build
on the opportunities that those two years have afforded me. Because right now?
Those opportunities are looking pretty awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment